VIDEO: Sportsman 850 or XP 1000 Oil Change
When changing the oil on your Polaris Sportsman, always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves. To change the engine oil and oil filter on your Sportsman 850 or XP 1000, do the following:
1. Position the vehicle on a level surface in a well-ventilated area.
2. Place the transmission in PARK.
3. Lock the parking brake.
4. Start the engine. Allow it to warm up at idle for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Stop the engine.
6. Clean the area around the drain plug.
7. Place a drain pan under the crankcase. Tip: Place a rag in the bottom of the drain plug to prevent splashing of oil.
8. Remove the drain plug with a 6mm Allen socket. Allow the oil to drain completely. Caution: Hot oil can cause burns to skin. Do not allow hot oil to contact skin.
9. Install a new sealing washer (part number 5812232) on the drain plug. The sealing surfaces on the drain plug and crankcase should be clean and free of burrs, nicks or scratches.
10. Reinstall the drain plug and torque to 12 ft-lbs (16 Nm).
11. Remove the oil filter cover plate by loosening the three T40 TORX® screws holding it into place.
12. Place the drain pan beneath the oil filter. Using a 2.5-inch (64mm) oil filter wrench available from your Polaris Dealer, turn the filter counter-clockwise to remove it.
13. Using a clean dry cloth, clean the filter sealing surface on the crankcase.
14. Lubricate the O-ring on the new filter with a film of fresh engine oil. Check to make sure the O-ring is in good condition.
15. Install the new filter and rotate it clockwise by hand until the filter gasket contacts the sealing surface and then turn it an additional 3/4 of a turn. The filter included in your Polaris Oil Change Kit for a Sportsman 850 or XP 1000 is part number 2520799.
16. Replace the guard plate.
17. Remove the dipstick. Add the proper amount of the recommended oil, which is 2 quarts (1.9 liters). Your Polaris Oil Change Kit comes with the correct amount of oil for your vehicle. Do not overfill. The oil change kit for a Sportsman 850 or XP 1000 is part number 2877473.
18. Reinstall the dipstick.
19. Start the engine. Allow it to idle for 1 to 2 minutes.
20. Stop the engine.
21. Check for leaks.
22. Check the oil level. Add oil as needed to bring the level to the upper mark on the dipstick.
23. Wipe up any residual oil that may have collected on vehicle components.
24. Dispose of the used filter and oil properly.
Programmable Service Interval
The service interval counter on your Sportsman decreases as engine operation hours increase. Change your engine oil and filter at the recommended service intervals.
To reset or change the service interval:
1. Press and hold the MODE button to enter the Options Menu. "OPTIONS" will display on the screen for 3 seconds before showing the first menu item.
2. Select "Service Hours" from the Options Menu by pressing the MODE button.
Reference the image shown above:
- (1) Press the MODE button.
- (2) Toggle the Up/Down buttons to change the units (0, 5, 10, -95, 100).
- (3) With the correct unit displayed, press the MODE button, which will set the unit and return you to the Options Menu.
To reset service hours after they have counted down to "0.0," reselect the existing setpoint or select a new service hour value.
3. To exit the Options Menu, select the Exit Menu function from the Options Menu; hold the MODE button and exit out of the Options Menu; or do not press any button for 10 seconds, which will exit out of the Options Menu.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
TORX® is a registered trademark of Acument Intellectual Properties, LLC