Required Tools and Supplies:
- 2.5-inch (64mm) Oil Filter Wrench
- 6mm Allen Socket
- Torque Wrench
- Oil Change Kit
- Oil Pan
- Shop Rags
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
When changing the oil on your Polaris Sportsman 6x6 570, always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves. To change the oil and filter on a 6x6, follow these steps:
1. Position the vehicle on a level surface in a well-ventilated area.
2. Place the transmission in PARK.
3. Set the parking brake.
4. Start the engine. Allow it to warm up at idle for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Stop the engine.
6. Tilt the cargo box.
7. Remove the seat by lifting straight up on the rear of the seat and sliding the seat out toward the rear of the vehicle.
8. Clean the area around the oil cap.
9. Remove the oil cap and set it aside.
10. Clean the area around the drain plug.
11. Place a drain pan under the crankcase. Tip: Place a rag in the bottom of the drain pan to prevent splashing of oil.
12. Using a 6mm Allen socket, remove the drain plug and allow the oil to drain completely. Caution: Hot oil can cause burns to skin. Do not allow hot oil to contact skin.
13. While the oil is draining, clean the area around the oil filter.
14. Position the drain pan beneath the oil filter. Using a 2.5-inch (64mm) oil filter wrench, turn the filter counter-clockwise to remove it. The oil filter for a Sportsman 6x6 570 is part number 2520799.
15. Using a clean dry cloth, clean the filter sealing surface on the crankcase.
16. Lubricate the O-ring on the new filter with a film of fresh engine oil. Check to make sure the O-ring is in good condition.
17. Install the new filter and rotate it clockwise by hand until the filter gasket contacts the sealing surface, and then turn it an additional ¾ of a turn.
18. Install a new sealing washer on the drain plug if needed. The sealing surfaces on the drain plug and crankcase should be clean and free of burrs, nicks or scratches. The sealing washer is part number 5812232.
19. Reinstall the drain plug and torque to 12 ft-lbs (16 Nm).
20. Add 2 quarts (1.9 liters) of the recommended oil. Your Polaris Oil Change Kit comes with the correct amount of oil for your vehicle. Do not overfill. The oil change kit for your Sportsman 6x6 570 is part number 2877473.
21. Reinstall the oil cap.
22. Wipe up any residual oil on the vehicle.
23. Start the engine and allow it to idle for 1 to 2 minutes.
24. Stop the engine and inspect for leaks.
25. Remove the oil dipstick cover, if equipped, and remove the dipstick to check the oil level. Add oil as needed to bring the level to the upper mark on the dipstick.
26. Dispose of the used filter and oil properly.
Programmable Service Interval
The service interval counter on your Sportsman decreases as engine operation hours increase. Change your engine oil and filter at the recommended service intervals.
To reset or change the service interval:
1. Press and hold the MODE button to enter the Options Menu. "OPTIONS" will display on the screen for 3 seconds before showing the first menu item.
2. Select "Service Hours" from the Options Menu by pressing the MODE button.
Reference the image shown above:
- (1) Press the MODE button.
- (2) Toggle the Up/Down buttons to change the units (0, 5, 10, -95, 100).
- (3) With the correct unit displayed, press the MODE button, which will set the unit and return you to the Options Menu.
To reset service hours after they have counted down to "0.0," reselect the existing setpoint or select a new service hour value.
3. To exit the Options Menu, select the Exit Menu function from the Options Menu; hold the MODE button and exit out of the Options Menu; or do not press any button for 10 seconds, which will exit out of the Options Menu.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.