When changing the oil on your Polaris Sportsman, always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves. To change the oil on your Sportsman 450, follow these steps:
1. Position the vehicle on a level surface in a well-ventilated area.
2. Place the transmission in PARK.
3. Lock the parking brake.
4. Start the engine. Allow it to warm up at idle for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Stop the engine.
6. Clean the area around the engine oil dipstick.
7. Remove the dipstick. If applicable, remove the access panel in the right footwell.
8. Clean the area around the drain plug.
9. Place a drain pan under the crankcase. Tip: Place a rag in the bottom of the drain pan to prevent splashing of oil.
10. Remove the drain plug with a 6mm Allen socket. Allow the oil to drain completely. Caution: Hot oil can cause burns to skin. Do not allow hot oil to contact skin.
11. Install a new sealing washer on the drain plug. The sealing washer is part number 5812232. The sealing surfaces on the drain plug and crankcase should be clean and free of burrs, nicks or scratches.
12. Reinstall the drain plug. Torque to 12 ft-lbs (16 Nm).
13. Clean the area around the oil filter.
14. Place the drain pan beneath the oil filter. Using a 2.5-inch (64mm) oil filter wrench, turn the filter counter-clockwise to remove it.
15. Using a clean dry cloth, clean the filter sealing surface on the crankcase.
16. Lubricate the O-ring on the new filter with a film of fresh engine oil. Check to make sure the O-ring is in good condition.
17. Install the new filter and rotate it clockwise by hand until the filter gasket contacts the sealing surface, and then turn it an additional ¾ of a turn. The oil filter is part number 2520799. The filter is included in both oil change kits.
18. Add 2 quarts (1.9 liters) of the recommended oil. The Polaris Oil Change Kit (part number 2877473) and Extreme Duty Oil Change Kit (part number 2878924) come with the correct amount of oil for your vehicle. Do not overfill.
19. Reinstall the dipstick.
20. Wipe up any residual oil on the vehicle.
21. Start the engine. Allow it to idle for 1 to 2 minutes.
22. Stop the engine.
23. Check for leaks.
24. Remove the dipstick and check the oil level. Add oil as needed to bring the level to the upper mark on the dipstick.
25. Dispose of the used filter and oil properly.
Programmable Service Interval
The service interval counter on your Sportsman decreases as engine operation hours increase. Change your engine oil and filter at the recommended service intervals.
To reset or change the service interval:
1. Press and hold the MODE button to enter the Options Menu. OPTIONS will display on the screen for 3 seconds before showing the first menu item.
2. Select SERVICE HOURS from the Options Menu by pressing the MODE button.
Reference the image shown above:
- (1) Press the MODE button.
- (2) Toggle the Up/Down buttons to change the units (0, 5, 10, -95, 100).
- (3) With the correct unit displayed, press the MODE button, which will set the unit and return you to the Options Menu.
To reset service hours after they have counted down to "0.0," reselect the existing setpoint or select a new service hour value.
3. To exit the Options Menu, select the Exit Menu function from the Options Menu; hold the MODE button and exit out of the Options Menu; or do not press any button for 10 seconds, which will exit out of the Options Menu.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.