Required Tools and Supplies:
- Shop Rags
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
- Dielectric Grease or Petroleum Jelly
- T30 TORX® Socket
- 10mm Socket
- Torque Wrench
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris ATV. To remove and install the battery on your Sportsman XP 1000 S, follow these steps:
1. Ensure the vehicle is on a flat, level surface.
2. Place the vehicle in park.
3. Set the parking brake.
4. Ensure the key switch is set to the OFF position and remove the key.
5. Unhook the clamps holding the front storage rack to the vehicle and open the front storage rack.
6. Turn the quarter-turn latches on the front storage compartment to unlock. Then remove the compartment.
7. Using a T30 TORX® socket, remove the two fasteners retaining the front cover to the vehicle.
8. Remove the push rivet and the front cover.
9. Using a 10mm socket, remove the fastener securing the battery hold down clamp.
10. Remove the hold down clamp and protective cover.
11. Using a 10mm socket, remove the black negative battery cable fastener. Caution: The negative battery cable must be removed first to prevent arcing.
12. Then, using a 10mm socket, remove the red positive battery cable fastener. Tip: Reinstall the cable fasteners into the battery posts to prevent misplacement.
13. Lift the battery out of the ATV.
14. If reinstalling the battery, ensure it is fully charged. Caution: Using a new battery that has not been fully charged can damage the battery and result in a shorter life. It can also hinder vehicle performance. Follow the instructions in the Battery Charging section of your Owner’s Manual before installing the battery. The replacement battery is part number 4014609.
15. Ensure the battery is clean and free of debris. Refer to Battery Charging and Maintenance Tips for proper cleaning and maintenance techniques.
16. Reinstall the battery in the battery holder.
17. Install the red positive cable first to prevent arcing. Torque to 5 ft-lbs (7 Nm).
18. Install the black negative cable last. Torque to 5 ft-lbs (7 Nm).
19. Coat the battery terminals with dielectric grease or petroleum jelly.
20. Verify the battery cables are tightened securely. Cables should be safely tucked away at the front and rear of the battery.
21. Install the battery hold down bracket and protective cover.
22. Install the battery hold down strap fastener. Torque to 8 ft-lbs (11 Nm).
23. Turn the key ON to verify the battery has been connected properly. Tip: When the battery is disconnected, the vehicle’s clock may need to be reset.
24. Reinstall the front cover.
25. Then install the push rivet and the two fasteners until fully seated.
26. Reinstall the front storage compartment. Verify the sealing gasket is seated before closing the front storage rack.
27. Close and lock the front storage rack.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
TORX® is a registered trademark of Acument Intellectual Properties, LLC