Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris Scrambler. To remove and replace the battery on your Scrambler XP 1000 S, follow these steps:
1. Ensure the vehicle is on a flat, level surface.
2. Place the vehicle in park.
3. Set the parking brake.
4. Turn the key switch OFF and remove the key.
5. Unlatch the front storage compartment and pull back to access the light bar connector. Unplug the connector underneath and remove the storage rack.
6. Using a 10mm socket, remove the battery hold down fastener and slide the hold down rearward to remove.
7. Using a 10mm socket, remove the black negative battery cable fastener and set aside. Caution: The negative battery cable must be removed first to prevent arcing.
8. Then remove the red positive battery cable fastener with a 10mm socket and set the cable aside. Tip: Reinstall the cable fasteners into the battery posts to prevent misplacement.
9. Lift the battery out of the vehicle.
10. If reinstalling the battery, ensure it is fully charged. Caution: Using a new battery that has not been fully charged can damage the battery and
result in a shorter life. It can also hinder vehicle performance. Follow the instructions in the Battery Charging section of the Owner’s Manual before installing the battery. The battery is part number 4014609.
11. Ensure the battery is clean and free of debris. Refer to Battery Charging and Maintenance Tips for Polaris Off-Road Vehicles for proper cleaning and maintenance techniques.
12. Reinstall the battery in the battery holder.
13. Install the red positive cable first to prevent arcing. Torque to 5 ft-lbs (7 Nm).
14. Install the black negative cable last. Torque to 5 ft-lbs (7 Nm).
15. Verify the battery cables are tightened securely. Cables should be safely tucked away at the front and rear of the battery.
16. Coat the battery terminals with dielectric grease or petroleum jelly.
17. Install the battery hold down bracket and protective cover.
18. Install the battery hold down fastener. Torque to 8 ft-lbs (11 Nm).
19. Turn the key ON to verify the battery has been connected properly. Tip: When the battery is disconnected, the vehicle’s clock may need to be reset.
20. Reconnect the light bar harness and reinstall the front storage rack by aligning the front retaining tabs and securing the front latches.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.