Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris ATV. To remove and install the battery on your Sportsman 850 or XP 1000, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface.
2. Ensure the vehicle is in PARK.
3. Set the parking brake.
4. Turn the key switch to the OFF position and remove the key.
5. Unlatch the front rack and pull back to open.
6. Then unlatch turn the quarter-turn latches inside and remove the storage compartment.
7. Remove the two T30 TORX® fasteners retaining the front cover trim.
8. Using a 10mm socket, remove the fastener securing the battery hold down.
9. Lift the rear of the hold down clamp and remove with the protective cover from the vehicle.
10. Using a 10mm socket, remove the black negative battery cable fastener and set the cable aside. Caution: The negative battery cable must be removed first to prevent arcing.
11. Then, using a 10mm socket, loosen the red positive battery cable fastener. Set the cable aside. Tip: Reinstall the cable fasteners into the battery posts to prevent misplacement.
12. Tilt the battery up and lift out of the vehicle.
13. If reinstalling the battery, ensure it is fully charged. Caution: Using a new battery that has not been fully charged can damage the battery, hinder vehicle performance and result in a shorter life. Follow the instructions in the Battery Charging section of your Owner’s Manual before installing the battery. The replacement battery is part number 4014609.
14. Ensure the battery is clean and free of debris. Refer to the Battery Charging and Maintenance Tips video for proper cleaning and maintenance techniques.
15. Reinstall the battery and into the battery holder.
16. Install the positive cable FIRST to prevent arcing. Torque the fastener to 6 ft-lbs (8 Nm).
17. Install the negative cable. Torque the fastener to 6 ft-lbs (8 Nm).
18. Coat the battery terminals with dielectric grease or petroleum jelly.
19. Install the battery hold down and protective cover.
20. Torque the hold down fastener to 14 ft-lbs (19 Nm).
21. Reinstall the front cover trim panel.
22. Install the trim panel fasteners and torque until fully seated.
23. Reinstall the storage compartment by aligning the front tabs and pivoting down.
24. Verify the sealing gasket is properly seated and close the front storage compartment.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
TORX® is a registered trademark of Acument Intellectual Properties, LLC