Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris ATV. To inspect and adjust the drive chain tension on your Outlaw 70, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface.
2. Move the vehicle slightly forward to properly measure chain deflection.
3. With the aid of an assistant, collapse the rear suspension by applying downward force to the rear bumper. This will position the rear axle and chain in the tightest configuration.
4. Measure the slack in the middle of the drive chain and compare to specification. Do not press down on the chain with your hand. Instead, use a weight or a deflection tool to check for proper tension. The tension should be between 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch (6 to 12mm).
5. If adjustment is needed, safely lift the vehicle. Both rear tires must be off the ground. The tires can also be removed with a 15mm socket to gain additional clearance.
6. Loosen the two axle bearing housing fasteners on the left side with a 15mm socket and 13mm wrench.
7. Also loosen the two axle bearing housing fasteners on the right side with a 13mm socket.
8. Loosen either the inner or outer eyelet screw jam nuts on each side of the vehicle with a 13mm wrench.
9. To tighten the chain tension slack, turn the outer jam nut clockwise until chain tension is set to specification.
10. Repeat on the other side of the vehicle. Ensure both sides are adjusted evenly.
11. Torque the outer jam nuts to 22 ft-lbs (30 Nm).
12. Torque the four axle bearing housing fasteners to 37 ft-lbs (50 Nm).
13. Lubricate the drive chain with Polaris chain spray lube (part number 2872348) or an approved chain lube.
14. If removed, reinstall both rear tires and the lug nuts.
15. Safely lower the vehicle.
16. If required, torque the lug nuts to 30 ft-lbs (40 Nm).
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.