Required Tools and Supplies:
- Shop Rags
- Air Filter
- T27 TORX® Socket
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
For more information on tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris Sportsman.
To inspect and replace the air filter on your Sportsman 850 High Lifter Edition or Sportsman XP 1000 High Lifter Edition, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface.
2. Ensure the transmission is in PARK and set the parking brake.
3. Lift up on the rear of the seat and pull back to remove.
4. Before removing, clean the area around the airbox.
5. Remove the airbox fastener with a T27 TORX® socket.
6. Inspect the airbox cover seal for any wear or damage and replace if necessary. The seal is part number 5814345.
7. Next, pull the air filter out of the airbox.
8. Carefully remove the pre-filter from the main filter and inspect for any tears or damage. Replace if needed. The pre-filter is part number 5811633.
9. Wash the pre-filter with hot soapy water and allow it to air-dry.
10. Inspect the main filter for any excessive debris or damage, and replace if necessary. The filter is part number 7082101.
11. Before continuing, clean out the inside of the airbox.
12. Reinstall the pre-filter onto the main filter, ensuring the screen covers the entire surface of the main filter without folds, creases or gaps.
13. Install it into the airbox, making sure it is fully seated.
14. Reinstall the airbox cover, ensuring the retaining tabs are properly engaged.
15. Install the airbox cover screw. Torque until the cover is sealed.
16. Install the seat by aligning the front retaining tabs and pushing down in the rear.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
TORX® is a registered trademark of Acument Intellectual Properties, LLC