The location of the battery on your Polaris ATV depends on its year and model.
Note: Improperly connecting or disconnecting battery cables can result in an explosion and cause serious injury or death. When removing the battery, always disconnect the negative (black) cable first. When reinstalling the battery, always connect the negative (black) cable last.
Battery Located Under the Front Box
The battery is located under the front box (as shown below) on the following models:
- Model year 2010 to present Sportsman 550, Sportsman 850, Sportsman XP 1000, Sportsman XP 1000 S, and Sportsman High Lifter Editions
- Model year 2021 to present Sportsman 450 and Sportsman 570 (See next section for battery location on Sportsman Touring 570, 6x6 570 and X2 570)
- Model year 2013 to present Scrambler models, 2006-11 Hawkeye models, 2008 and 2009 Sportsman 300, and 2007 Outlaw models (May require removing front cover or cab)
Battery Located in Left Front Wheel Opening
The battery (1) is located in the left front wheel opening, in front of the PVT cover, on the following models:
- Model year 2014 to 2020 Sportsman 450 and Sportsman 570
- Model year 2014 to present Sportsman Touring 570, Sportsman 6x6 570, and Sportsman X2 570
Other Battery Locations
Most other ATV models from 1985 through model year 2014 have a battery located under the left rear fender.
The exceptions to that rule are:
ATVs with batteries below the seat. These models include 2010-13 Trail Boss and Trail Blazer; 2010-12 Scrambler; 2006 and 2007 Sawtooth; and Sportsman 600, 700 and 800 from 2004-10.
On 2010 Sportsman Touring 550 and 850 models, the battery is accessed by removing the passenger seat.
On 2008 to 2010 Sportsman 400 H.O. models, the battery is behind the right front tire. Accessing it requires removing the splash shield behind the right front tire and the left side panel.
For 2010 Sportsman Touring 500 and all Sportsman Touring and Sportsman X2 models from 2007 to 2009, the battery is under the fuel tank and is accessed by removing the right side panel.
Outlaw 525 IRS models from 2009 to 2011 feature a battery located in front of the engine on the lower portion of the main frame.
Find more information in Battery Charging and Maintenance Tips.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
For complete battery maintenance procedures, including charging, removal and installation instructions, consult your Owner’s Manual.
To find replacement parts, view the online parts catalog.
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2021 Polaris Inc.