Required Tools and Supplies:
- Clutch Spreader Tool
- 10mm, 15mm and 19mm Sockets
- Torque Wrench
- Breaker Bar
- Shop Rags
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris ATV. To inspect or replace the drive belt on your Sportsman XP 1000 S, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface.
2. Place the vehicle in park.
3. Lock the parking brake.
4. Loosen the lug nuts on the left rear wheel with a 19mm socket, but do not remove them.
5. Elevate and safely support the vehicle. Refer to your Owner’s Manual for proper lifting techniques.
6. Remove the lug nuts.
7. Remove the left rear wheel and set aside.
8. Using a 15mm socket, remove the four fasteners retaining the lower left-hand frame support and remove from the frame.
9. Using a 10mm socket, remove the 11 fasteners securing the outer PVT cover to the inner PVT cover.
10. Using care, pull the outer PVT cover out of the wheel well.
11. Inspect the cover seal and replace if necessary. The seal is part number 5521802.
12. Take note of the drive belt direction of rotation for reinstallation if needed.
13. Insert the clutch spreader tool into the driven clutch to spread the clutch sheaves. Caution: Ensure the tool is square with the moveable sheave surface of the driven clutch.
14. Carefully walk the belt off the driven clutch while opening the sheaves with the spreader tool as needed.
15. Then remove the belt from the drive clutch.
16. Inspect the belt for any fraying, hour-glassing, loose cords, missing cogs, abrasions, burns or damage. Replace if needed.
17. Clean out the inside of the clutch covers thoroughly. Warning: Failure to remove ALL debris when servicing the belt could result in vehicle damage, loss of control and severe injury or death.
18. When reinstalling the belt, ensure the belt is installed in the same direction of travel. If replacing the belt, ensure the part number on the belt is facing outward when installed. The belt is part number 3211160.
19. Loop the belt over the drive clutch and begin to walk it over the top of the driven clutch.
20. Work the drive belt onto the driven clutch. Rotate the driven clutch clockwise while opening the sheaves with the spreader tool as needed.
21. When the belt is fully installed, rotate the driven clutch five to seven times to seat the belt.
22. Carefully reinstall the clutch cover.
23. Install the clutch cover fasteners. Torque to 30 in-lbs (3.4 Nm).
24. Locate the dot on the end of the lower left-hand frame support and align with the chassis. Caution: The dot end must be installed toward the bottom of the frame. If not installed properly, the lower left-hand frame support could potentially break.
25. Torque the fasteners to 45 ft-lbs (60 Nm).
26. Reinstall the wheel on the wheel hub.
27. Install the wheel lug nuts hand tight.
28. Safely lower the vehicle to the ground and then torque the lugs nuts to 120 ft-lbs (162 Nm) in a crisscross pattern.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.