VIDEO: Sportsman 450 Battery Removal and Installation
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris ATV. To remove and install the battery on your Sportsman 450, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface.
2. Ensure the vehicle is in park.
3. Set the parking brake.
4. Turn the key switch to the OFF position and remove the key.
5. Access the battery through the front wheel well and remove the battery strap.
6. Then remove the battery cover.
7. Remove the black negative battery cable fastener with a 10mm socket. Set the cable aside. Caution: The negative battery cable must be removed first to prevent arcing.
8. Then remove the red positive battery cable fastener with a 10mm socket. Set the cable aside. Tip: Reinstall the cable fasteners into the battery posts to prevent misplacement.
9. Remove the vent tube, if equipped, and carefully remove the battery from the vehicle.
10. If reinstalling the battery, ensure it is fully charged. Caution: Using a new battery that has not been fully charged can damage the battery, hinder vehicle performance and result in a shorter life. Follow the instructions in the Battery Charging section of the Owner’s Manual before installing the battery. The battery is part number 4140006.
11. Ensure the battery is clean and free of debris. Refer to the Battery Charging and Maintenance Tips video for proper cleaning and maintenance techniques.
12. Reinstall the battery through the wheel well and into the battery tray.
13. Install the positive cable FIRST to prevent arcing. Torque to 5 ft-lbs (7 Nm).
14. Then install the negative cable. Torque to 5 ft-lbs (7 Nm).
15. Ensure the cables are properly secured.
16. Coat the battery terminals with dielectric grease or petroleum jelly.
17. Install the battery cover. Make sure the indents are properly aligned with the battery cables and vent, if equipped.
18. Then secure the battery strap.
19. Finally, turn the key ON to verify the battery has been connected properly. Tip: When the battery is disconnected, the vehicle’s clock may need to be reset.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you through the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.