Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris ATV. To inspect or replace the drive belt on your model year 2020 and older Sportsman 450, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface.
2. Ensure the vehicle is in PARK.
3. Set the parking brake.
4. Lift up on the rear of the seat and pull back to remove.
5. Remove the two plastic rivets securing the left side panel.
6. Grasp the rear of the side panel and pull firmly outward to disengage the side panel from the retainers and remove it from the vehicle.
7. Remove the push rivet on the PVT access panel and unlatch the two latches to remove.
8. Remove the four lower fasteners and nuts on the footwell with a T27 TORX® socket and an 11mm wrench.
9. Using a T27 TORX® socket, also remove the two upper fasteners securing the footwell to the fenders.
10. Then remove the two push rivets on the front of the footwell.
11. Pivot the footwell away from the body panels to disengage the tabs and remove from the vehicle.
12. Remove the PVT inlet duct with a 1/4-inch socket and loosen the outlet duct clamp.
13. Remove the eight cover fasteners with a 10mm socket.
14. Carefully remove the outer clutch cover from the outlet duct.
15. Pivot the clutch cover around the fender and out of the vehicle.
16. Inspect the cover seal and replace if necessary. The seal is part number 5521738.
17. Take note of the drive belt direction of rotation. The belt must be installed in the same direction if reusing.
18. Squeeze the belt in the center to spread the driven clutch sheaves. Carefully walk the belt off the driven clutch and remove it from the drive clutch.
19. Inspect the belt for any fraying, hour-glassing, loose cords, missing cogs, abrasions, burns or damage. Replace if needed.
20. Clean out the inside of the clutch covers thoroughly. Warning: Failure to remove ALL debris when replacing the belt could result in vehicle damage, loss of control and severe injury or death.
21. If replacing the belt, the part number on the belt should face outward when installed. The belt is part number 3211113.
22. Loop the belt over the drive clutch and begin to walk it over the driven clutch sheave. Tip: The belt will try to curl up around the bottom of the driven clutch sheave. Push the bottom of the belt down when needed to aid in installation.
23. Spin the driven clutch five to seven times to seat the belt.
24. Carefully reinstall the clutch cover, pivoting around the fender as needed and ensuring the cover seal is fully seated.
25. Install the eight cover fasteners. Torque to 50 in-lbs (5 Nm).
26. Install the PVT inlet and outlet ducts. Torque the clamps to 20 in-lbs (2 Nm).
27. Carefully maneuver the left footwell onto the vehicle and align the fenders onto the tabs on the footwell.
28. Reinstall the two footwell push rivets.
29. Install and tighten the two upper footwell fasteners until fully seated.
30. Then tighten the four lower fasteners. Torque to 3 ft-lbs (4 Nm).
31. Reinstall the PVT access cover. Install the push rivet and secure the two latches.
32. Reinstall the left side panel, ensuring the tabs are aligned, and reinstall the two push rivets.
33. Finally, reinstall the seat and align the front tabs. Push firmly on the rear of the seat to engage the grommet.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
TORX® is a registered trademark of Acument Intellectual Properties, LLC