Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris Sportsman. To change the rear gearcase fluid on your Sportsman 850 or Sportsman XP 1000, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface.
2. Place the vehicle in PARK and set the parking brake.
3. Place a drain pan underneath the rear gearcase drain plug. Placing a rag in the bottom of the drain pan will help prevent the splashing of fluid.
4. Clean the area around the fill plug.
5. Then remove the rear gearcase fill plug with an 8mm Allen socket.
6. Next, clean the area around the drain plug.
7. Remove the drain plug with an 8mm Allen socket and allow the fluid to drain completely.
8. Clean any dirt or debris from the fill and drain plugs.
9. Inspect the O-rings on both plugs and replace if necessary.
10. Reinstall the drain plug. Torque to 12 ft-lbs (16 Nm).
11. Next, fill the gearcase through the fill plug hole until fluid reaches the bottom threads and begins to spill out. The rear gearcase capacity is 7.1 ounces (210 ml). ATV Angle Drive Fluid is part number 2876160 for 1 quart (946 ml).
12. Reinstall the gearcase fill plug. Torque to 12 ft-lbs (16 Nm).
13. Clean any residual fluid off the and vehicle inspect for leaks.
14. Dispose of the used fluid properly.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.