Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves while servicing your Polaris Sportsman. To replace the front gearcase fluid on your Sportsman XP 1000 S, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface.
2. Place the vehicle in PARK.
3. Lock the parking brake.
4. Place a drain pan underneath the front gearcase drain plug. Tip: Place a rag in the bottom of the drain pan to prevent the splashing of oil.
5. Clean the area around the fill plug in the right front wheel well.
6. Remove the front gearcase fill plug with an 8mm Allen socket.
7. Clean the area around the drain plug.
8. Remove the drain plug with an 8mm Allen socket. Allow the fluid to drain completely.
9. Clean any dirt or debris from the fill and drain plugs.
10. Inspect the O-rings on both plugs and replace if necessary.
11. Reinstall the drain plug and torque to 19 ft-lbs (26 Nm).
12. Fill the gearcase through the fill plug hole until fluid reaches the bottom threads and begins to spill out. The capacity is 9.3 ounces (275 ml). Demand Drive Fluid is part number 2877922 for 1 quart (946 ml).
13. Reinstall the gearcase fill plug and torque to 19 ft-lbs (26 Nm).
14. Clean any residual fluid off the vehicle.
15. Check for leaks.
16. Dispose of the used fluid properly.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.