Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris Sportsman. To change the transmission fluid on your Sportsman 850 High Lifter Edition or Sportsman XP 1000 High Lifter Edition, follow these steps. For optimal performance, always use Polaris recommended fluids as described in your Owner’s Manual.
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface.
2. Ensure the vehicle is in PARK and set the parking brake.
3. Access the transmission in the right rear wheel well. The right rear wheel can be removed for additional clearance.
4. If desired, removing the rear skid plate will help prevent residual fluid buildup.
5. Place a drain pan underneath the transmission. Placing a rag in the bottom of the drain pan will help prevent the splashing of fluid.
6. Clean the area around the fill plug.
7. Remove the transmission fill plug with an 8mm Allen socket. Set aside.
8. Clean the area around the drain plug.
9. Remove the drain plug with an 8mm Allen socket and allow the fluid to drain completely. A funnel can be used to help redirect the fluid away from the chassis.
10. Clean any dirt or debris from the fill and drain plugs.
11. Inspect the O-rings on both plugs and replace if necessary.
12. Reinstall the drain plug. Torque to 10 to 14 ft-lbs (19 Nm).
13. Ensure the vehicle is level if previously lifted to remove the wheel.
14. Fill the gearcase through the fill plug hole until fluid reaches the bottom threads and begins to spill out. The fluid capacity is 37 ounces (1,100 ml). AGL Full Synthetic Gearcase Lubricant and Transmission Fluid is part number 2878068 for 1 quart (946 ml) and part number 2878069 for 1 gallon (3.78 L).
15. Reinstall the transmission fill plug. Torque to 10 to 14 ft-lbs (19 Nm).
16. Clean any residual fluid off the vehicle and inspect for leaks.
17. If previously removed, reinstall the right rear wheel and torque to specification. Torque steel wheels to 45 ft-lbs (61 Nm). Torque aluminum wheels to 75 ft-lbs (102 Nm).
18. Also reinstall the rear skid plate, if necessary.
19. Finally, dispose of the used fluid properly at your local recycling center.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.