Required Tools and Supplies:
- 8mm Allen Socket
- Torque Wrench
- Drain Pan
- Fluid Filler
- AGL Transmission Fluid
- Shop Rags
- Eye Protection
- Nitrile Gloves
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris ATV. To change the transmission fluid on your model year 2021 and newer Sportsman 450, follow these steps. For optimal performance, always use Polaris recommended fluids as described in your Owner’s Manual.
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface, ensure the vehicle is in PARK and set the parking brake.
2. Place a drain pan underneath the transmission drain plug. Placing a rag in the bottom of the drain pan will help prevent the splashing of fluid.
3. Before removing, clean the area around the fill plug in the left rear wheel well.
4. Remove the fill plug with an 8mm Allen socket and set the plug aside.
5. Clean the area around the drain plug in the right rear wheel well.
6. Remove the drain plug with an 8mm Allen socket and allow the fluid to drain completely.
7. Before continuing, clean any dirt or debris from the fill and drain plugs.
8. Inspect the O-rings on both plugs and replace if necessary.
9. Reinstall the drain plug. Torque to 12 ft-lbs (16 Nm).
10. Fill the transmission through the fill plug hole until fluid reaches the bottom threads and begins to spill out. The capacity is 32 ounces (946 ml). AGL Full Synthetic Gearcase Lubricant and Transmission Fluid is part number 2878068 for 32 ounces (946 ml).
11. Reinstall the transmission fill plug. Torque to 12 ft-lbs (16 Nm).
12. Before continuing, clean any residual fluid off the vehicle and inspect for leaks.
13. Dispose of the used fluid properly at your local recycling center.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.