Required Tools and Supplies:
- Oil Pan
- Torque Wrench
- Shop Rags
- 2.5-Inch (64mm) Oil Filter Wrench
- 6mm Allen Socket
- Oil Change Kit
When changing the oil on your Polaris ACE, always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves. To change the oil and oil filter on an ACE 900 , follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat level surface.
2. Place the vehicle in park.
3. Start the engine and allow it to warm up at idle for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Stop the engine.
5. Remove the rear cargo box panel.
6. Remove any debris near the oil cap and remove the oil cap.
7. Place a drain pan under the engine crankcase. Tip: Place a rag in the bottom of the drain pan to prevent splashing of oil.
8. Clean the area around the drain plug. Remove the drain plug with a 6mm Allen socket and allow the oil to drain completely. Caution: Hot oil can cause burns to skin. Do not allow hot oil to contact skin.
9. Remove the seat. Pull the lever in front of the seat and slide the seat forward.
10. Remove the oil filter access panel behind the seat by pulling out and lifting straight up.
11. Remove the oil filter using a 2.5-inch (64mm) oil filter wrench.
12. Apply a small amount of clean engine oil to the new filter seal.
13. Using a clean dry cloth, clean the filter sealing surface on the crankcase. Make sure the old filter O-ring is completely removed.
14. Install the new filter and rotate it clockwise by hand until the filter gasket contacts the sealing surface, and then turn it an additional ¾ turn. The oil filter for your ACE 900 is part number 2540086.
15. Inspect the drain plug and sealing surfaces. Install a new sealing washer on the drain plug. The sealing washer is part number 5812232. Notice: The sealing surfaces on the drain plug and crankcase should be clean and free of burrs, nicks or scratches.
16. Clean the sealing surfaces and reinstall the drain plug. Torque to 12 ft-lbs (16 Nm).
17. Wipe up any residual oil on the vehicle.
18. Fill the engine with 2.5 quarts (2.4 liters) of oil through the oil fill cap.
19. Reinstall the oil fill cap.
20. Start the engine and allow it to idle for 1 to 2 minutes.
21. Stop the engine and inspect for leaks.
22. Check the oil level and add oil as needed to bring the level to the upper mark on the dipstick.
23. Wipe up any residual oil that may have collected on vehicle components.
24. Reinstall the oil filter access panel, making sure the tabs at the bottom are engaged.
25. Reinstall the seat.
26. Reinstall the cargo access panel.
27. Dispose of the used filter and oil properly.
Programmable Service Interval
The service interval counter on your ACE decreases as engine operation hours increase. Change your engine oil and filter at the recommended service intervals.
To reset or change the service interval:
1. Press and hold the MODE button to enter the Options Menu. "OPTIONS" will display on the screen for 3 seconds before showing the first menu item.
2. Select "Service Hours" from the Options Menu by pressing the MODE button.
Reference the image shown above:
- (1) Press the MODE button.
- (2) Toggle the Up/Down buttons to change the units (0, 5, 10, -95, 100).
- (3) With the correct unit displayed, press the MODE button, which will set the unit and return you to the Options Menu.
To reset service hours after they have counted down to "0.0," reselect the existing setpoint or select a new service hour value.
3. To exit the Options Menu, select the Exit Menu function from the Options Menu; hold the MODE button and exit out of the Options Menu; or do not press any button for 10 seconds, which will exit out of the Options Menu.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.