Required Tools and Supplies:
- Shop Rags
- Dielectric Grease or Petroleum Jelly
- 10mm Socket
- Torque Wrench
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris Sportsman. To remove and install the battery on your Sportsman 850 High Lifter Edition or Sportsman XP 1000 High Lifter Edition, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface and ensure the vehicle is in PARK.
2. Set the parking brake and remove the key.
3. Access the battery from underneath the front of the vehicle. Remove the battery bracket fastener with a 10mm socket. Lift the bracket up and pull out to remove from the vehicle.
4. Using a 10mm socket, remove the black negative battery cable fastener first to prevent arcing and set the cable aside.
5. Then, using a 10mm socket, remove the red positive cable fastener and set the cable aside. Reinstalling the fasteners into the posts will help prevent misplacement.
6. Slide the battery out of the vehicle.
7. If reinstalling the battery, ensure it is fully charged and free of any debris to prevent damage. Follow the instructions in the Battery Charging section of your Owner’s Manual before installing the battery.
8. Clean any dirt or debris from the mounting bracket and reinstall the battery.
9. Install the positive cable first to prevent arcing. Torque to 72 in-lbs (8 Nm).
10. Install the negative cable. Torque to 72 in-lbs (8 Nm).
11. Reinstall the battery bracket, ensuring the top protective pad is properly oriented over the posts. The battery will need to slide forward to engage the rear mounting tab.
12. Install the battery bracket fastener. Torque to 8 ft-lbs (11 Nm).
13. Next, coat the battery terminals with dielectric grease or petroleum jelly.
14. Before proceeding, verify the cables are secure and properly routed.
15. Finally, turn the key on to verify the battery is properly connected. When the battery is disconnected, the vehicle’s clock may need to be reset.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.