Required Tools and Supplies:
- Shop Rags
- T27 TORX® Socket
- Spark Plugs
- 14mm Deep Well Socket
- Torque Wrench
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris Sportsman.
To change the spark plugs on your Sportsman 850 High Lifter Edition or Sportsman XP 1000 High Lifter Edition, follow these steps:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface in a well-ventilated area.
2. Ensure the transmission is in PARK and set the parking brake.
3. Lift up on the rear of the seat and pull back to remove.
4. Remove the push rivet of the right side panel with a pliers.
5. Also remove the fastener on the top of the side panel with a T27 TORX® fastener.
6. Pivot the side panel out and pull back to remove.
7. Disconnect the shift linkage to gain additional clearance.
8. Clean the area around the spark plugs.
9. Carefully remove the spark plug boots from the plugs
10. Remove both spark plugs for inspection with a 14mm deep well socket.
11. Inspect the electrodes for wear and carbon buildup. The spark plug should have a sharp outer edge with no rounding or erosion.
12. Also inspect and adjust the spark plug gap if needed. On an 850 engine, the gap should be 0.035 inches (0.90mm). On a 1000 engine, the gap should be 0.030 inches (0.76mm).
13. If necessary, replace with the recommended spark plug. The spark plug for a Sportsman 850 High Lifter Edition is REA6MC, which is part number 3022438. The spark plug for a Sportsman XP 1000 High Lifter Edition is AUTOLITE 5682, which is part number 3022553.
14. Install the spark plugs into the engine. Torque to 18 ft-lbs (25 Nm).
15. Reinstall the spark plug boots and ensure they are secure. Reference the MAG and PTO labels on the leads to ensure they are properly oriented.
16. Also ensure the leads are installed in their retainer.
17. Reconnect the shift linkage.
18. Continue by reinstalling the side panel, ensuring the retention tabs are properly engaged.
19. Reinstall the side panel fastener. Torque to 10 in-lbs (1 Nm).
20. Reinstall the side panel push rivet.
21. Reinstall the seat by aligning the front retaining tabs and pushing down in the rear.
22. Finally, start the engine to ensure proper operation.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
TORX® is a registered trademark of Acument Intellectual Properties, LLC